MICHAEL GOLEMBESKY: THE WORLD IS SOMETIMES A VIOLENT AND UGLY PLACE
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Michael Golembesky is a New York Times bestselling author after his first book Level Zero Heroes became a big hit. The novel was published in the beginning of September and very fast became huge hit. I was very honored when Michael accept my invitation for interview. Enjoy!
– What is your last book Level Zero Heroes: The Story of U.S. Marine Special Operations in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan about?
– It is the first book about Marine Corps Special Operations. In Level Zero Heroes follows the members of U.S. Marine Special Operations Team 8222 on their assignment to the remote and isolated Taliban stronghold known as Bala Murghab as they conduct special operations in an effort to break the Taliban’s grip on the Valley. What started out as a routine mission changed when two 82nd Airborne Paratroopers tragically drowned in the Bala Murghab River while trying to retrieve vital supplies from an air drop that had gone terribly wrong. In this one moment, the focus and purpose of the friendly forces at Forward Operating Base Todd, where Team 8222 was assigned, was forever altered as a massive clearing operation was initiated to break the Taliban’s stranglehold on the valley and recover the bodies.
From close-quarters firefights in Afghan villages to capturing key-terrain from the Taliban in the unforgiving Afghan winter, this intense and personal story depicts the brave actions and sacrifices of MSOT 8222. Readers will understand the hopelessness of being pinned down under a hail of enemy gunfire and the quake of the earth as a 2000 lb. guided bomb levels a fortified Taliban fighting position.
A powerful and moving story of Marine Operators doing what they do best, Level Zero Heroes brings to life the mission of these selected few that fought side-by-side in Afghanistan, in a narrative as action-packed and emotional as anything to emerge from the Special Operations community contribution to the Afghan War.
– How did you decide to write the story?
– Simple, a promise I made to the guys on the team. Consider this promise fulfilled.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
Working a full-time job, having a family life and still devoting thousands of hours to making this book the very best that a could.
– Tell us something more about your main character? Is it close to someone from your real life?
– The book is a work of non-fiction, so what you are ready is who I am and every word of the book is true, down to the last detail. This is what makes the story so amazing and captivating to the readers.
– How much time you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– Three years, three long years; it was tough but I would gladly do it all over again.
– Who are you?
I am Michael. I am a former U.S. Marine and patriot, everything else is arbitrary.
– What are your writing habits?
– A style that is crazy, sporadic and sometimes downright compulsive.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of the book and do you plan another one?
– It’s a New York Times Best Seller so that really speaks for itself. As for another one, only the future knows.
– What are you doing to promote by the best possible way your book?
– Social media, it allows you to connect and directly interact with your supporters. I love it, LZH has the best community of fans!
– How you decide to change your life and enlist yourself into the Marine Corps?
– September 11, 2001. I am not the only one; there is an entire generation of patriots that were born from that one event.
– We all watched a lot of movies about Iraq, but you’ve been there. How would you describe this part of the earth?
– The middle-east is a region of the world that has been in turmoil for hundreds of year, nothing in the near future is going to change that. The people in the region need to collectively want to be known for something other than exporting oil and terrorism to the world. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.
– If you may put several sentence with words “Afghanistan”, “war”, “fear”, “religion”, “weapon” what would you write?
– Not sure, but all of these words describe the ‘Global War on Terrorism’.
– Is it possible the war with terrorism to be win and how that may happen?
– I try to stay out of politics and currents events, but it is obvious that terrorism conducted by extreme Muslims is a global problem that needs to be taken head on.
– Did you expect so much positive feedback from your readers and how you feel when you see their satisfaction based on amazon/goodreads reviews?
– You can only hope for the best but all of the reviews I have read are exactly the reaction we were hoping to get from the book. What can I say; we hit the nail right on the head.
– Do you consider making your book a movie?
– Who knows, the future remains to be unseen but there is always a possibility if a producers shows interest in it. The story of LZH would look amazing on the big-screen, the next Blackhawk Down if you ask me.
– Thanks for your time!
– Keep hope, the world is sometimes a violent and ugly place but there still are brave men like the ones in LZH that are willing to risk all to protect our civil way of life throughout the world. -Ski
Take a look at his book
Level Zero Heroes