ISABELL LAWLESS: MY INSPIRATION CAME FROM A PREVIOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH A BAD TEMPERED MAN
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Isabell Lawless’s debut novel Beast of Vanery will be released on November 23. The story has a potential to become big hit. The plot shows something that many people around the world had to suffer. We’ve got a chance to hear from the author about her new book.
– What is your last book Beast of Venery about?
– Beast of Venery is a semi-autobiographical romantic thriller that follows Danielle fleeing an abusive and domineering ex-boyfriend. With the help and support from her new husband and surrounding family she fights his attempts to contact her and touch her in any way possible to get her back into her life
– How did you decide to write the story?
– I’ve had a few pieces of this story in my head for a long time, but it was not until after we came back from vacation this Spring that I decided to actually write those pieces down. I wasn’t sure if it was going to even become a novel at the time, but the more I wrote, the more I was able to put a spin on each little part. It also had a lot to do with our daughter, who finally took long enough naps that allowed me some alone time to write and read. I love her for that. God bless the naps!
The inspiration behind the story came from a previous long relationship with a bad tempered man. I should probably send him the book as a gift: “Thanks for being an ass, you’ve inspired my writing.” In reality, probably not. His personality has been the inspiration to one of the characters of the story. Somehow I also feel it’s been a therapeutic outlet to write some of the memories down, but also to put an extra little crazy twist on them.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– Time! I need more nap hours and more coffee to write everything I believe should fit in the story. A type of writer’s block hasn’t appeared at all, which I am very thankful for. Just give me more alone time to wrote, please.
– Tell us something more about your main character? Is it close to someone from your real life?
– My main characters are based on real people that I’ve met, but I’ve put a little twist on each one of them to make them the way I truly want them for the book.
– How much time do you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– My book will be published Nov, 23rd, 2014, and that’s about the perfect time to finish my editing and add the last small bits to the book.
– Who are you?
– I’m a Swedish-bred tale teller now living in sunny California since my early twenties. I’ve always dreamed about being a rock star and make it onto the Hollywood scene with my band, I even wrote more than one hundred rock and pop songs. Out of the blue I got hit by the big love train and ended up marrying an oil operator and I’m now happily married and dot around the house with our daughter. Surviving on vanilla flavored coffee when the days seem too long I’ve made it very clear that baby nap-time is mommy’s writing and reading time.
My first book, “Beast of Venery,” was published on Amazon Kindle and stays true to my favorite genres: steamy romance and criminal suspense.
I’m bilingual using English as my second language, but get’s the grammar and slight text editing done by a nice oil operator I know.
– What are your writing habits?
– I write when the baby naps. As a parent your needs fall back and the baby comes first, so I write when I can. Nap time or night time, whenever I’m not needed for playtime, snuggles, or food.
– Are you satisfied by the pre-sales of the book and do you plan another one?
– To be honest, I’m not very focused on sales. My first book is still on pre-order but I’m excited to see where the future will bring. I already have two other, non-related, stories written down that I would like to write as soon as I can.
– What are you doing to promote your book the best possible way?
– I’m of Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Pinterest. I also have an author’s page on amazon.com. Other than that I’m not sure. I’m very new to this game of publishing.
– Why did you decided to search for a new life in USA?
– I moved from Sweden to the US because I met my husband eleven years ago on a dating site. It’s been a fantastic experience and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
– As a song writer, how do you feel when some of your texts are special and become a hit?
– I feel honored and proud, that someone would take the time to listen to the music or read the lyrics and like something about it.
– Please compare the top 3 things that you like and dislike in USA and do the same for Sweden.
– I love the people, the laid back culture, and the weather of California where I reside. I do wish it was closer to Sweden for family to visit more often. I do not miss much about Sweden except for family and friends. I’m so glad not to have to conquer a snowy, dark winter ever again.
– Ask yourself a question (And don’t forget to answer!)
– Why on earth did you wait so long to write the book, you had the main plot set up for so long?
– Well, I didn’t have any time to actually sit down and write until now. No baby crying, to job interfering, and I finally figured out how to make one of the main characters really nuts. It took some time to sculpt him, figuring out evil, wicked things he would be capable of doing.
Find out more about Isabell at her Twitter
Take a look at her book
Beast of Venery