NIKKI WILD: AT THE HEART OF IT, ARROGANT BRIT IS A LOVE STORY
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Nikki Wild hit the top of Kindle Amazon chart with her book Arrogant Brit. The novel was released few days before Christmas, and already picks up a nice amount of positive feedback.
Our next guest specializes in Romance genre. She is living in Southern California and is ready to surprise her fans with some new books in 2016.
It’s a great pleasure to welcome at Land of Books Nikki Wild.
– Nikki, what is your newest book Arrogant Brit about?
– I think at the heart of it, Arrogant Brit is a love story. Dalton knows where his life is heading. He’s waiting to inherit a fortune and nothing is going to derail that train…. Until he meets Clara.
He’s a bad boy, yes, but the book goes so much further than that. I tried to incorporate hopes and dreams, and an attraction that goes beyond how big his muscles are.
I tried to write the book I wanted to read… I enjoy romance stories with more than just lust as a driving factor. Bringing in emotion grounds the characters and makes their story arch feel more authentic. I hope that came across in the story…
– How did you decide to write the story?
– I went to a recent author conference in London, and I can’t even begin to describe how amazing it was. On the flight back to the states, I couldn’t help myself. I opened up my laptop and stared at a blank page until two words jumped out at me…
Those words had deeper meaning. I knew I wanted to write a book about someone from England, and I thought it would be fun to incorporate the “bastard son” angle. So, Bastard was a play on words…
I outlined the whole book on the transatlantic flight.
I wrote the novel over the course of the next month, and by the time I was done, “British Bastard” had become Arrogant Brit. The rest, as they say, is history!
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– I think the greatest challenge is always going to be time.
I’m a full-time author, but I’m also a mother of two. Finding a handful of uninterrupted hours to write on any given day is difficult. I often have to wake up early or stay up late writing, and I pour a lot of energy into these books. It’s a challenge to juggle that work/life balance, but I do everything I can!
– Tell us something more about your main characters Clara and Dalton? Are they close to someone from your real life?
– I would say the characters are a mix of traits from people I surround myself in life… I always strive to make a unique character who has a life of their own rather than borrowing too heavily from any one person that I know. I made the mistake of modeling a character after my husband once, and he still comes at me with cheesy one-liners from the book years later. Live and learn!
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– The book was written over the course of a month, and editing, cover design, and overall publishing happened over a two week period.
– Royal Prick received very nice feedback by the readers. Will you unveil something about the novel for all the fans of erotica genre?
– I’ll unveil something: Royal Prick was never supposed to be in the Erotica genre! It is a romance novel and was released into Romance. Some of the bookstores (Amazon included) like to clean up the virtual shelves around Christmastime, and I suspect the word “Prick” was a bit too flashy for Romance, so those vendors moved Royal Prick into Erotica. I considered changing the title and moving it back, but it is a steamy romance and fit the genre well enough that I decided to let it be.
Also, the marketing campaign for the book was in full swing, and I couldn’t just pull it down right in the middle of my release parties!
– In the last three months you are like publishing machine with a new book every two weeks. How you managed to work in such a high pace and to produce quality stuff?
– In the book industry, Christmas time is the season you will earn a substantial amount of your overall book sales. Over the course of the year, I try to plan out my releases so I will have more books to release in the month or two before Christmas. You’ve seen the fruits of my labor!
Of course, I also like to think that I am a publishing machine. I have a hard time focusing on any one single thing, so I always have three or four different novels in various stages of completion at any given time. Friends tell me I might have ADD. I tell them if I do have ADD, then ADD is my superpower!
– Who are you?
– I’m a mother, a friend, a lover of life, and a full-time author. I’m the kind of person who has always sought out a way to express herself artistically, and to be able to support myself and my family purely off my artistic pursuits is an incredible feeling.
– What are your writing habits?
– I write five days every week, no exceptions. That’s probably my biggest habit, and it’s where most authors fall short.
I do have one more fun habit… I never end a writing day with a period. I always leave the last sentence I’m writing unfinished. Next time I sit down to write, I have an unfinished sentence to complete, and the words just keep flowing from there. It’s a fantastic way to avoid the “what do I do now?” writers block that likes to creep up whenever you start thinking about writing!
– Are you satisfied by the sales of your book?
– Absolutely! Arrogant Brit became the #10 bestselling book on all of Amazon and has sold countless copies. I’ve been trying to write a top 10 book for years now, and it feels amazing to have finally hit that high pedestal!
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– I have my website, my facebook page and I’m growing a mailing list of interested and amazing readers every single day. My goal isn’t to spend my time promoting… My goal is to write the best book I possibly can, and to let my fans know it has arrived! The readers do the rest.
I really can’t thank my fans enough for being such a big part of every book launch.
– When we will see your next novel and would you unveil something more about it?
– I have three more books in the work right now, including two more bad boys from Britian. I don’t want to reveal any details until I’ve had a chance to do cover reveals for my fans, but I should have a brand new release in the next few weeks!
– How can fans of your books meet you? Would you share your book signings schedule for 2016?
– I’ll be at RWA 2016 signing books and also participating in one of the author workshops. Interested authors and readers should check out the RWA website!