WENDY LINDSTROM: I’M WORKING ON AN EPIC YA FANTASY SERIES
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
NY Times and USA Today bestselling author Wendy Lindstrom established as one of the top American romance writers. Her Grayson Brothers series are highly rated by the fans of the genre. With the assistance of Melissa Deckman we’ve got a chance to welcome our next guest of honor at Land of Books.
– Wendy, Did you expect such a success of Grayson Brothers series?
– I think I had “hoped” rather than expected that the series would be successful. I am deeply grateful to the awesome readers who made the Grayson Brothers series a New York Times bestselling series.
– How did you decide to write the story?
– I wanted to write about relationships and love and family, about powerful emotions and situations that mattered. While reading a heart-wrenching memoir from the American Civil War I felt compelled to write about a soldier returning home to his family, hoping to find peace but finding an unexpected and undeniable love with his brother’s fiance. SHADES OF HONOR is about brothers, family bonds and a love so powerful it can destroy or save a family.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– With my first book the biggest challenge was learning how to write a full length novel. With each of my books the biggest challenge is keeping life out of the way and protecting my writing time.
– Tell us something more about your main characters? Are they 100% fiction or it’s close to someone from your real life?
– The main characters in my books are 100% fiction, but I have several brothers which helped significantly in creating real-life Grayson men.
– How much time you need to finish a book and to publish it?
– It varies depending on the project, book length, and how much I know about the story before I begin writing. I’ve written a novella in 6 weeks, but my full length novels take 8 to 9 months to complete.
– Would you tell us more about your Second Chance Brides series?
– I’ve receive so many letters from readers requesting “sweet” editions of my Grayson Brothers series that I finally carved out the time to revise the books and create sweet editions. I gave the books different titles and covers and a new series name to help prevent confusion between the book editions. I wanted it to be very clear to the reader which edition they were buying.
– Who are you (Would you describe yourself with few sentences)?
– I’m a crazy cat lady, nature lover, peace seeker, and avid writer.
– What are your writing habits?
– I like to write in the mornings and early afternoon. To get the creative juices flowing I like to start out journaling. I just start putting words on paper. Sometimes they end up being just that, words on paper. However, more often than not, they become part of a story. I tend to take care of the business and administrative tasks later in the day.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of the books?
– Absolutely, but I’m always hopeful the series will continue to gain popularity and readership, and hopefully become a television series or movie.
– Do you have plans for your next novel and would you unveil something about it?
– My next novel is about Nancy Grayson, the Grayson Brothers’ mother-her young love with their father Hal Grayson and the unusual circumstance that brought them together. I am really excited to share Nancy’s story with my readers. She is the foundation of this great family and she has a beautiful story to tell.
– How you promote by the best possible way your book?
– Bookbub presently yields the most downloads when I run a promotion, but I also use several other smaller promotional sites. The best way I share news about my books and behind-the-scenes information is with my newsletter. It’s a much more intimate way of connecting with my readers.
– What are the top three spices for a romance novel?
– Cumin for warmth and complexity, paprika for depth and sweetness, and of course a dash of cayenne for heat.
– Would you tell how tai chi and kickboxing helped you to overcome the chronic fatigue syndrome?
– Participating in these classes got me moving again, calmed my stress, and strengthened my body. I found a sense of community and friendship with fellow students.
– Ask yourself a question (And don’t forget to answer!)
– Would you ever think of writing a series outside of your current genre (Historical Romance)? I’ve not only considered it, I’m working on an epic YA fantasy series that I’m super excited about. Although it’s too soon to accurately estimate a release date, I hope to release the first book in the series late 2015. I’ll be sharing more information about this new series in my upcoming newsletters.
Take a look at her books
Grayson Brothers Series Boxed Set (4 books): Historical Romance
Shades of Honor: A Victorian Historical Romance (Grayson Brothers Book 1)
Twice Loved: A Sweet Historical Romance (Second Chance Brides Book 1)