KOMAL KANT: I AM BLOWN AWAY BY THE SUCCESS OF BENEATH HIM
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Beneath Him by Komal Kant is the current #1 romance bestseller in Amazon. The book is featured in Top 20 of the most popular novels. The author of the new hit is just 24-year-old but already wrote some amazing stories. We’ve got a great chance to speak with the rising literary star Komal Kant in our next interview.
– What is your book Beneath Him about?
– Beneath Him is the story of Sky Hudson who is hired as the new nanny for Madeline, the niece of the wealthy Ruggarson family. She clashes with arrogant Nick Ruggarson and tries to deny the feelings she begins to have for him.
– How did you decide to write the story?
– I actually started writing this story nine years ago. At the time it was just a fun project for me and something I would rush home from school to work on. I was absolutely engrossed in the wealthy lifestyle of the Ruggarsons, and the love-hate relationship between Sky and Nick.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– The revision process was very grueling for me and I struggled a lot through it. It took me three months to edit the book, which is the longest I have ever taken during the editing process.
– Tell us something more about your main character Sky Hudson? Is she close to someone from your real life?
– Sky’s personality resembles mine. I’m that awkward, yet direct, person who finds herself in ridiculous situations sometimes. Of course, the situation Sky finds herself in has never happened to me, but I think every ordinary girl has a fantasy about falling in love with the arrogant, sexy millionaire. What’s great about Sky is she is such a normal and relatable girl who brings a dose of reality to the lifestyle she enters.
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– I came up with the story in either 2004 or 2005 (I don’t recall the exact year now), so it has been a very slow work-in-progress for me and something very close to my heart, which is one of the reasons why I was so reluctant to publish it.
– With me series became big hit. Would you give us some author insight about the books and did you expect such a positive feedback?
– The With Me series is set in high school and initially began as a standalone about Ashton and Luca and their complicated relationship. However, the book became so popular—and I fell in love with the side characters—that I decided to turn it into a series with the minor characters taking on the lead roles in upcoming books.
– Runaway Mortal and Unfamiliar are your other two published novels. What the readers will find inside them?
– Runaway Mortal and Unfamiliar are two completely different books. Runaway Mortal is Book One in a Young Adult Paranormal series about mortal, Katerina Lyrille who attends a supernatural school with angels and demons. At the beginning of the book she is on the run after being accused of a murder and spends the remainder of the story trying to prove her innocence. Unfamiliar is a New Adult Contemporary Romance I co-wrote with my friend, Erica Cope; she wrote Hailey’s POV and I wrote Chase’s. My fiancé, Chase is on the cover of the book and his band even wrote a song titled ‘Unfamiliar’ especially for the book.
– Who are you?
– I’m just a normal 24-year-old girl trying to write stories that people can relate to.
– What are your writing habits?
– I used to have a very structured writing schedule, but now I write whenever I feel like it. I realised I can’t force myself to write when I’m not feeling creative because I burn myself out mentally.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of your books and did you feel some change after became bestselling author?
– I am absolutely blown away by the sales of book. Never in a million years did I expect Beneath Him to take off the way it did. I never expected it to become a Top 10 bestseller or for so many people to fall in love with the story. I still don’t know how this happened. It’s overwhelming.
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– I just hit publish and hope for the best.
– When we will see your next novel?
– First Chances will release in early 2015. It is the fourth installment in the With Me series.
– You are a fan of Call of Duty? Do you prefer the multiplayer and what are your favorite maps?
– I prefer single player, but I have played multiplayer and I like a lot of the maps in Modern Warfare, especially Crossfire.
– How many huskies do you have and how much time you spend with them?
– I have three Huskies and since I work from home, I spend my writing breaks with them. They are also my running companions, so I can get out of the house and enjoy being away from the computer.
– If you may ask yourself one question in the interview what it will be? (Don’t forget to answer)
– What is one piece of advice you would like to give to aspiring authors?
Read as much as you can and don’t stop writing. Write every day. Do your research on self-publishing and traditional publishing. Make sure you are as informed as you can be about what publishing has become today.