KIM SMITH: AN UNEXPECTED PERFORMANCE IS TIMELESS STORY
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Kim Smith is the author of YA novel An Unexpected Performance. She is a master of short stories. Let’s hear from our next guest more about her writings.
– What is your last book An Unexpected Performance about?
– Two kids taking drama class at Broken Branch High School decide to try for their teacher’s award for excellence. They are warned by Mrs. Mac, the drama teacher, not to mess with her ‘special’ mirror. When they figure it can’t hurt to try the mirror’s magic, it sends them back to the era of their play where they have to perform using all their drama training. Will it be enough to keep them alive?
– How did you decide to write the story?
– As a former Drama Mama of two young actors, I fell in love with the whole process of play rehearsals and performances. I love time travel stories and decided to mix the two things together and An Unexpected Performance was the result.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– Research. I love it and hate it and this book required a lot of it. I discovered more about soldiering life than I ever dreamed.
– Tell us something more about your main character? Is it close to someone from your real life?
– In this book there is actually a dual main character. The male, Josh and the female, CJ share a leading role in the book. They are not really from real life, but rather invented from the depths of my mind.
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– I wrote it over the course of a year and the editing and publishing probably took another six months.
– Unveil what we may found in your first book A Will to Love and The Missing Body Mini-series?
– A Will to Love is not a YA romance, but rather an adult one, about a man who carries on The Inn, a bed and breakfast that had been his wife’s dream until she died from cancer. And the Missing Body Series is a YA serial about a young girl who discovers a skeleton in her neighbor’s yard but after it suddenly disappears has to uncover the mystery surrounding it.
– Who are you?
– I am an author of fantastical fiction, a podcaster, a mother, and a sometime photographer/videographer.
– What are your writing habits?
– I try hard to get some word count in every day, even if it is a blog post. I am on a 25 day challenge where I am keeping up with my progress of editing/writing/podcasting. A writer writes, and so it goes.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of the book and do you plan another one?
– I am totally satisfied with the book and how far it has reached. I think it is a pretty timeless story that will be interesting to anyone who likes history, time travel fantasy, and YA. I am considering another book in the “Mirror in Time” series, but haven’t plotted it out yet.
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– I am always utilizing social media and of course podcasting. The audio book version of An Unexpected Performance will be out later this year and it will open up a whole new vista of readers.
– How you decided to launch your podcast Writer Groupie and how it developed in time?
– I started the podcast over at BlogTalkRadio originally and discovered that they were very limited on when you could produce your show if you were not a premium member. I decided to move it to my website and started recording and posting them there. It was a great idea and has been successful.
– You showed huge love to Memphis. What are the three must see things in the city for every visitor?
– Oh totally go see Elvis Presley’s home, Graceland, and plan to see the Peabody Ducks do their walk at the grand hotel, The Peabody. The other thing I suggest is the Memphis Zoo. It is outstanding!
– If you may ask yourself one question in the interview what it will be? (Don’t forget to answer)
– Where do you see yourself in five years?
Answer: I hope to be a full-time author-entrepreneur in five years and making a decent living off doing the things I really love to do. Entertaining!
Take a look at Kim’s books and stories:
An Unexpected Performance
Ten Tips for Getting that Book Written
Case of the Missing Body (The Missing Body Mini-series Book 1)
Case of the Missing Body, PART TWO (Missing Body Series Book 2)
A Will to Love