EDEN BUTLER: I HAVE TO HAVE A DEADLINE TO KEEP ME DISCIPLINED
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Eden Butler is a rugby fan, pirate’s successor and a very good writer. Recently she published her book Thin Love. Let’s hear from the author everything about the romance novel.
– What is your last book Thin Love about?
– THIN LOVE is about two young college students, Keira and Kona who are from very different worlds. It’s a story about first loves, betrayal and that one true love that doesn’t ever die. It’s about violence and toxic love and tries to explore the concept of this types of relationships and if they can ever be healthy.
– How you decide to write the story?
– The “reunion” scene, where Keira and Kona see each other again after sixteen years has been playing like a loop in my mind for a few years. I wanted to know these characters and their histories and what gave them pause to stare at each other across a crowd.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– I’m horrible about turning off my “self editor” rather than simply sitting down to write. I’m constantly going back and rewriting, which, with this novel, made it difficult to hit my deadline.
– Tell us something more about your main character? Is it close to someone from your real life?
– There are a lot of similarities to people I’ve known and situations/conversations I’ve been in as a kid. It’s definitely not true to life, but there is a similarity to my past persona experience.
– How much time you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– Usually, depending on the story, at least a few months. I go through several drafts before it’s ready for my editor and then there is another three weeks or so after that before I’m ready to hit publish.
– What about your other works from Seeking Serenity series?
– CHASING SERENITY, BEHIND THE PITCH and FINDING SERENITY. In October/November, I’m hoping to release the third Serenity novel, CLAIMING SERENITY. There will be one more after that and then a novella.
– Who are you?
– Writer, mother, wife, goofball, Geek, hopeless romantic, unabashed dreamer.
– What are your writing habits?
– I procrastinate for a while, then I read a lot, then I finally sit down and write. I have to have a deadline to keep me disciplined enough to write.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of the book and do you plan another one?
– Yes, absolutely. I’ve been very, very blessed.
– What are you doing to promote by the best possible way your book?
– I have a street team and am very active of social media. I also participate in blog tours and promote my work and other books that I love as much as possible.
– You are working as an editor. What are the most common mistakes that the authors are doing?
– Telling, not showing. Most folks think that writing isn’t all that difficult. It’s very difficult. It’s the most difficult job I’ve ever had. There are also a lot of people who like the idea of being an author and doing promotion, marketing for their work, going to cons and signings that do not put a lot of effort into the craft of writing. For me, the story comes first and if you don’t believe that, if you don’t do whatever you can to strengthen your writing chops, then you aren’t a writer…you’re a PR person.
– How much an editor may influence on the final quality of a book?
– My editor? Well, I couldn’t publish a thing without her help. She’s amazing and invaluable.
– You are a granddaughter of English pirate. How do you understand that fact and what you know about your grand…grand…grandfather?
– I know very little about him but I’d love to learn more. What I have learned comes from geneology research. I do know he was born in the colonies in 1604, the year after his eighteen year old father landed here from England. I know that he was a pirate for a long while then retired and married a woman 38 years his junior.
– Do you remember the first time when you watched rugby match and how you became fan of the sport?
– Yes. Graduate school. We had a small rugby team and before my classes in the afternoon, I sit in my car and watch them practice. It was fabulous.
Find more about Eden Butler on her:
Check out her books
Chasing Serenity (Seeking Serenity Book 1)
Finding Serenity (Seeking Serenity Book 2)
Behind the Pitch, a novella: Seeking Serenity 1.5