LEANDA DE LISLE: TUDOR: THE FAMILY STORY CAST THE ORIGINS OF THE DYNASTY IN A NEW LIGHT
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Tudor dynasty is a source of many history books and historical researches. Leanda de Lisle explored and told the story starting from not so well known facts.
Her book Tudor: The Family Story received huge positive critics by the readers and is standing with solid average of 4.4 Amazon stars from 118 reviews. “Beautifully Written”, “Great insight”, “Something absolutely fabulous,” were just part of the fans’ reactions.
It’s a real honor to introduce you at Land of Books Leanda de Lisle.
– Leanda, how your book Tudor: The Family Story is different from all others, which are related to the powerful dynasty?
– Most books on the Tudors only get going with the reign of Henry VIII. Mine begins much earlier, with the origins of the dynasty, and cast them in a new light. It also addresses many lesser known but important family members.
– How did you decide to write the story?
– It was a great story begging to be told!
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– How to cover so much ground and remain clear and focused.
– Tell us something more about your main characters? What was your approach in order to describe them with their full traits?
– Several of the women have been attacked because of their religious beliefs and the approach to them has often been very sexist. I enjoyed rehabilitating figures like the remarkable Margaret Beaufort, mother of the first Tudor king.
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– It is the result of 15 years work.
– Share some insights about your other books: The Sisters Who Would Be Queen, After Elizabeth and Catholics and Their Houses?
– The first books also concern the Tudor succession and give fresh insights into Tudor figures, while Catholics and their Houses is juts a coffee table book.
– Who are you?
– I am a broadcaster, author and journalist, a wife, mother, daughter sister, friend and dog owner.
– What are your writing habits?
– I write 9.30-6.30 with breaks for lunch and dog walks.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of your books?
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– That’s not my job. My job is to write the best possible books and if readers enjoy them the word will get out.
– When we will see your next novel and would you unveil something more about it?
– My next book will be published in 2017 and is the exciting story of the reign of Charles I, ending with his beheading.
– You have three sons, who are also historians. How much you influence them to follow your steps?
– They understood from me that history is full of great stories, but they have all gone on to do other things: after studying history you can do anything.
– You wrote a lot of articles and columns as magazines and newspapers. How much this kind of writing helped you to polish your skills as a book author?
– It makes your writing tighter I would say.
– Leanda is a very rare name with Greek origin. How your parents decided to give it to you and what is the meaning?
– A book came out the year I was born called A Hero for Leanda and I suspect that is the origin of the strange spelling of my name.
– If you may ask yourself one question in the interview what it will be?
– Will people in Bulgaria enjoy reading Tudor: The Family Story? I hope so!
Learn more about Leanda de Lisle at her Website
Take a look at her books:
Tudor: The Family Story
The Sisters Who Would be Queen
After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England
Catholics and Their Houses