MEGG JENSEN: ATTACK ON PHOENIX IS MY HOMAGE TO FLASH GORDON
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
USA Today bestselling author Megg Jensen started a new adventure with her latest release Attack on Phoenix. The title premiered on October 20. Few days later we’ve got a great chance to speak with sci-fi and fantasy author about the first book of Forsaken Stars Saga. Let’s say a warm welcome to our next guest.
– Megg, what is your latest book Attack on Phoenix about?
– Attack on Phoenix is my homage to my favorite science fantasy movies – Flash Gordon, Dune, and John Carter of Mars. Two hundred years ago, an Earth spaceship crashed on a desolate planet. Just as they are about to get back into space, they are besieged by an alien species called the dragzhi. Only an ancient relic, the Key, can save them – if it even exists.
– How did you decide to write the story?
– This is a story I’ve wanted to write for years. The plot finally came together in late 2014, when the main character Rell entered my consciousness.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– Editing is always the hardest and longest part of the process. I tend to write books fairly quickly, but I take my time with editing. Not only do I perform multiple rounds of self-editing, but I also contract with a developmental editor and a line editor. Together, we polish the book until it gleams.
– Tell us something more about your main characters Torsten and Rell? Are they close to someone from your real life?
– I never write about people I know in real life. Torsten and Rell are constructs of my imagination. Rell is the main character. She’s tough and she’s very delusional, having grown up in a religious cult. Torsten is a soldier, not by choice, who would rather have his nose stuck in a book. They have to learn to work together, although both are loners.
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– I began pre-plotting Attack on Phoenix in December of 2014 and published it in October of 2015.
– What the readers will find in your Cloud Prophet Trilogy?
– The Cloud Prophet Trilogy is a young adult fantasy adventure. It focuses on one slave girl, Reychel, who is far more than she first appears to be. CPT combines magic, first love, and friendships.
– Give us some insight about Dragonlands books?
– The Dragonlands surprised me. When I first began that series, I had no intention of including dragons. When the first dragon appeared while writing, I put aside my keyboard and said, “What just happened?” Instead of fighting, I went ahead with the story, and I’m so glad I did. The Dragonlands was such a joy to write.
If adult readers enjoy dragons, death, intrigue, and destruction, they’ll like Dragonlands.
– Who are you?
– I am a nerd, gamer, and natural redhead.
– What are your writing habits?
– I’m not a creature of habit when it comes to writing. I don’t adhere to a schedule. I do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. I do set a release date for my books, and stick to it, but I rarely plan out the details. So far, everything has managed to fall into place.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of your books?
– I am happy with the sales of my books. I’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks over the last couple of years. Like an writer, I would love to reach more readers, but I am delighted with the numbers I’ve managed to sell so far.
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– I take out ads on my books to reach readers who wouldn’t hear about me through the regular channels – Facebook, Twitter, my newsletter. I chat a lot on social media, but I try to talk more about fun things like movies and TV shows and anything nerd-related.
– When we will see your next novel and would you unveil something more about it?
– My next novel, Scattered Ashes (Forsaken Stars Saga #2) will likely release in January 2016. I can’t tell you much about it yet – spoilers!
– What was the feeling when you saw your name at USA Today bestselling list?
– That was surreal. I hadn’t been expecting to hit USA Today at all. I went from zero to panic in one day. I feel very grateful readers chose to take a chance on my books.
– If you may ask yourself one question in the interview what it will be?
– I had trouble coming up with a question, so I asked my friends. John Lawrence (author of Inborn) came up with this gem:
Q: If y€ou had to describe your books using only famous author names, which ones would you drop?
A: This is only a “if you enjoyed this, you might enjoy mine” answer, not a “my books are exactly like these books” answer. Lol. I would compare my newest novel, Attack on Phoenix, to the adventure in John Carter of Mars and the stark alien planet in Dune.
Check out her books:
Attack on Phoenix (Forsaken Stars Saga Book 1)
Hidden (Dragonlands Book 1)
Dragonlands Omnibus: Hidden, Hunted, Retribution, Desolation, and Reckoning
Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy Series Book 1)
The Swarm Trilogy (3 Book Series)
About Ognian GeorgievOgnian Georgiev is a sport journalist, who is working as an editor at the "Bulgaria Today" daily newspaper. He covered the Summer Olympics in Beijing 2008 and in London 2012. The author specializes in sports politics, investigations and coverage of Olympic sports events. Ognian Georgiev works as a TV broadcaster for Eurosport Bulgaria, Nova Broadcasting group, TV+, F+ and TV7. He is a commentator for fight sports events such as boxing/kickboxing and MMA. In May 2014 Ognian Georgiev released the English version of his book The White Prisoner: Galabin Boevski's secret story.
Posted on November 4, 2015, in Author, BESTSELLER, Books, Interview and tagged Attack on Phoneix, author, Cloud Prophet, Dragonlands, interview, Megg Jensen, novel. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.