JANA DELEON: MY ENTIRE INDIE CAREER IS STILL VERY SURREAL
Posted by Ognian Georgiev
Jana Deleon is like a factory for bestselling books. She is one of the leading indie authors, who made her dream to be successful writer. Not only that, her talent was big enough to secure her a place at New York Times Bestselling list.
Few days ago Hurricane Force, the seventh part of Miss Fortune mystery series, was released. The book went right away to Kindle’s top titles and currently is standing with solid 4.8 Amazon stars from almost 50 reviews.
As an indie writer myself, it’s always a great pleasure to welcome at Land of Books lady Jana DeLeon.
– Jana, what is your book Hurricane Force about?
– Hurricane Force is the seventh book in the Miss Fortune mystery series. In this installment, the heroine, CIA assassin Fortune Redding, has an opportunity to take down the arms dealer who put a price on her head. If she can accomplish this, she can give up her fake identity in Sinful, Louisiana and return to her real life.
– How did you decide to write The Miss Fortune series?
– I like fish out of water stories and loved the idea of someone from a big city (D.C.), with limited social skills, and no girly ability to have to fit into a role that’s the exact opposite of her personality. In this case, a librarian, ex-beauty queen in a small southern town.
– What was the biggest challenge during the write up process?
– The biggest challenge is always placing enough clues for the mystery but planning for the twist in the end that (hopefully) readers won’t see coming.
– Tell us something more about your main character Fortune Redding? Is she close to someone from your real life?
– Fortune is a CIA assassin whose father (now deceased) was one of the best CIA assassins the agency has ever had. Her mother died when she was a child, and her father wasn’t interested in her because she was a girl. She has pushed herself in her career trying to prove herself to him and now that she’s in Sinful, and sees another way of life, she’s starting to question her choices.
– How much time did you need to finish the story and to publish it?
– It usually takes me two to three months to write a book and get it edited and through the publication process.
– What the readers will find in the new Shaye Archer series?
– The Shaye Archer series is a complete departure from the Miss Fortune series. The Miss Fortune series is humorous mystery. The Shaye Archer series is dark psychological thriller.
– What to expect next from Ghost-in-Law series?
– At this time, I have no plans to continue the Ghost-in-Law series.
– Who are you (Would you describe yourself with few sentences)?
– I am a former CFO turned author and a lover of dogs and all things motor sports. I have motorcycles, jet boat, and waverunners and love to go fast. I am a beach baby and love being in the ocean more than anything.
– What are your writing habits?
– I am a morning person, so I usually get up between 5-6 am and start writing. I work every day, but I’m trying to get to a place where I have at least one day off a week. I track word count on Excel spreadsheets and if I don’t meet word count one day, I have to make it up.
– Are you satisfied by the sales of your books?
– I am thrilled with the sales of my books. I have a great readership and it’s expanding every day. My career as an author has so far exceeded my expectations that I don’t even have words to describe it.
– What are you doing to promote your book by the best possible way?
– I have a core readership so promotion is fairly simple. I send out a newsletter to my 19k subscribers. I post on Facebook and boost the post so as many people as possible see it. And my husband (who handles most of my marketing) gets my street team (180 members) going on promoting my book by word of mouth, on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
– When we will see your next novel and would you unveil something more about it?
– My next novel is in the Shaye Archer series and is entitled SINISTER. In this book, we will learn more about Shaye’s mysterious past.
– You’ve got a very nice picture of your dog reading a book. Tell us more about the animal and is he/she really enjoy reading?
– Bogey is a Sheltie and while I don’t think he enjoys stories, he loves attention. So sitting next to me while I’m talking to him is something he’s always happy to do.
– What was the first feeling when you saw your name in New York Times bestselling list?
– Disbelief. Euphoria. My entire indie career is still very surreal even though I’m four years in.
– If you may ask yourself one question in the interview what it will be?
– What advice would you give to aspiring indie authors? Don’t neglect craft. Marketing, publicity, formatting and all of that are things you need to know, but none of it matters until you produce a book that resonates with readers.
To learn more about Jana DeLeon check out her Website
Take a look at her books:
Louisiana Longshot (A Miss Fortune Mystery, Book 1)
Hurricane Force (A Miss Fortune Mystery Book 7)
Malevolent (Shaye Archer Series Book 1)
The Naked Truth About Self-Publishing
Ghost-in-Law Boxset (Ghost-in-Law Mystery/Romance Series)
About Ognian GeorgievOgnian Georgiev is a sport journalist, who is working as an editor at the "Bulgaria Today" daily newspaper. He covered the Summer Olympics in Beijing 2008 and in London 2012. The author specializes in sports politics, investigations and coverage of Olympic sports events. Ognian Georgiev works as a TV broadcaster for Eurosport Bulgaria, Nova Broadcasting group, TV+, F+ and TV7. He is a commentator for fight sports events such as boxing/kickboxing and MMA. In May 2014 Ognian Georgiev released the English version of his book The White Prisoner: Galabin Boevski's secret story.
Posted on September 25, 2015, in Author, BESTSELLER, Books, Interview and tagged author, book, Ghost-in_law, Hurricane Force, Jana DeLeon, Miss Fortune, series, Shaye Archer. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment